Sunday, January 31, 2010

Being a Mom.

On Friday night, something horrible happened. I cringe just thinking about it. Hallie put a sleeping bag ontop of her head and started walking around. She fell and hit the computer chair. At first I didn't think it was a big deal, because let's face it, my daughter is a Drama Queen. I'm not going to lie. She cries dramatically over Owen just taking her "Bankie". But when I took the sleeping bag off of her head and saw all of the blood, I panicked. And then when I wiped away the blood and saw the 2 holes in her lip, I panicked some more, and when I saw the two holes on the outside of her lip I panicked. A LOT. Yup, that's right, her teeth went straight threw her lip to the other side..oh and when I saw that her top tooth was bleeding and loose..I started crying. Dramatically. I had to. I couldn't help it. I didn't let Hallie see it though. I wanted her to think I was brave. Good thing Chad was there. He calmed me down.

I called Amy (she's a nurse). She told us that they don't typically stitch mouth injuries. So we went and bought some liquid stitch. We gave her Tylonal, put some peroxide on it, some ice, orajel. She was fine after that.

The next day it was really swollen and looked awful but somehow better.

Isn't it horrible when your child gets hurt?? I don't know if I'm cut out for this!! How will I handle it when one of my children breaks an arm or heaven forbid gets into a car accident. I felt so helpless. I wish I were a doctor and not a

On a good note:

I got to spend some quality time with my little family yesterday and I feel rejuvenated. It was so fun. We didn't do anything fun in particular. We didn't play in the snow because it's like a huge sheet of ice. This snow was dangerous..

I love my family. I love my husband. We went to my parents house last night and my little sister Leah came in the living room and asked, "Bonny, um, can you and Chad leave and go on a date?" I guess she wanted the kids all to herself? I didn't hesitate. "Of course we can!"

We had received a gift card to O'Charley's for Christmas.. We went to eat and then we went grocery shopping at Super Target. It was the best date. I LOVED it!!!!! It was so nice to spend some quality time with my significant other.

And then when we went to pick the kids up, they wanted to spend the night. Chad and I got to spend the evening together and I got to sleep in this morning. It was blissful.

Hallie just got home. Her mouth looks bad today. I think I might start crying dramatically again.

7 comments:

Heather Gray said...

Oh, my gosh! I totally would have freaked out, too, Bonny. I wish we would have thought about that liquid stitch stuff when Bastian busted his chin open a couple weeks ago. The ER is expensive! I hope Hallie is okay.

Chelle said...

Aw, poor Hallie! Hopefully her lip looks better soon. I did the same thing when I was about 2 years old (I feel off a counter) and Mom says it actually healed very fast. I do still have two scars from where I bit through, but no one ever notices them. So hopefully she'll be just fine soon!

Littlefoot said...

G'day Bonny,

My little one fell and knocked her teeth right up into her gums and split her lip. She had to have an operation and they did plastic surgery on her lip. All stitched up. Make sure your medical advice was accurate!!!

It is all on my blog if you want to see. (see archive July 09- The fall)

Littlefoot said...

I should have mentioned that the australian medical system is very different to yours. We don't have to pay a cent for medical treatements or to go to the ER or any surgeries etc. Its all government funded. If you want posh room service you get private but private doctors work in all systems.

Dana Scarbrough said...

OH BONNY!! Sad day. I really hope it heals and Hallie is okay. I literally almost passed out and was bawling the first time Caleb had a cut in his mouth from running into the side of the couch(first real bleeding he'd ever done). Yes, thank goodness my husband was home too! WONDERFUL that ya'll have family so close and convenient (VERY WILLING) babysitters! =) Glad you finally enjoyed your weekend after all!

Laura said...

Poor Hallie and Bonnie!!! Gets getting hurt is pretty crazy. It's even better to have a friend that can help you out avoiding the emergency room. however, be carefull. i've taken two of my boys in for lip injuries. tipton's they wouldn't stitch because they don't normally do that and the lip heals pretty quickly. hyrum on the other hand, they did stitch because of the way it was injured on his upper lip. i was glad because it would have left a nasty scar and probably made his upper lip look really weird. didn't want my boy to hate me for his bad looks.

Lindsay said...

:( I hope her lip is better now. I hate when the kids get hurt, it's very sad. Taylor broke his arm last year and had to have surgery on it, It was horrible!