Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Fair, A Pageant and Temper Tantrums

So my sister-in-law, Catelynn Day, she is 16, decided to compete in a pageant, at the Fair, in Cookeville. I took some pictures of her. She had never competed before and just wanted to for fun. I always thought it would be a fun thing to do, never did it. Who wouldn't love getting all dressed up and walking around in front of a ton of people? Well, the getting dressed up part seemed appealing, and I was never really a competitive person, probably why I never did it. Anyways, back to Catelynn, I think she did a great job! She didn't win, but she had so much fun doing it! It was fun watching Candi fix her hair and makeup, and helping her pick out her jewelry, etc.









While we were waiting for the Pageant to start, Grandavid and I took the kids around the fair!

This is Hallie and Grandavid after getting the tickets, she was so excited to ride the rides!


First ride of the night, the carousal, I didn't want to get on it, they make me dizzy.


A boat ride.


This was their favorite ride, probably b/c it was a lot more exciting then the other rides, it went a lot faster, they screamed the whole time, happy screams.




So at the end of the night, the kids were so tired, and cranky. They did not want to sit through the Pageant. I didn't get to see who won, b/c we left early. Hallie was not very happy about this, when I told her we had to go, she started SCREAMING at the top of her lungs b/c she didn't get to kiss her Mimi goodbye. She rarely has temper tantrums, I've only seen her do it once she only does this when she is EXTREMELY tired. Anyways, we had to rush out of the Arena, and into the crowded Fair, Grandavid was pushing Owen in the stroller, and I was carrying Hallie, she was kicking and screaming, she actually kicked her flip flops off and hit 2 people. She was hitting me and everyone was staring, we were about half way out of the fair when she screamed I DON'T LOVE YOU!! I DON'T LOVE YOU!! Hearing this really hurt me, I was already feeling terribly embarrassed, sticky (Owen had spilt his sprite all over me) and exhausted, and then to hear her say that, was just crushing. I didn't expect to hear that until she was a teenager. I couldn't help it I just started bawling. All the way to the car. When she settled down enough to see that I was crying, she kept saying, STOP Mommy, STOP!! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I'm SORRY!! So anyways, that's my little story. Overall though, it was a fun night.

Have any of your kids pitched a fit in public? And if so, what do you do? How do you handle it?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh that so sucks! You are a braver woman than me...there is no way I would have taken my two kids to the fair by myself (well not without a stroller for sure)!

And yes, I have had to deal with Colten throwing tantrums in restaurants, etc. (I'm sure many more to come with him and my little Diva). I take Colten into the bathroom, pop his butt (might not be for everyone, but works for us), and put him in the floor to kick and scream etc until he is ready to behave himself. I have been stuck in the bathroom for a long time before, but eventually he is ready to come back out and at that point he has to apologize to me and everyone else who was affected.

Hope she limits them from now on, I would much rather handle our tantrums at home which I end up doing a lot at this point in their little lives!

Dana Scarbrough said...

No tantrums yet, I'm sorry. =( That would be horrible to hear- at least she realized how bad it hurt you!

Chad & Bonny Day said...

Amy: I did have a stroller and my Father in law was with me to help. My MIL actually did tell me I should have spanked her, but I didn't want to do that in public. And there was no bathrooms nearby to do it. But that is a good idea, it was a very awkward situation. Thanks for the advice.
Dana: I know, I almost didn't punish her, b/c I saw how bad she felt when she saw me crying, but she still got into trouble when we got home. I was too hurt to do anything in the car.