Sunday, November 9, 2014

Finn's Birth Story

On October 13, I went in for a Dr. Checkup and Finn was transverse, which meant I was going to have to get a C-Section if he didn't flip. I did all kinds of exercises to get him to flip. I put my behind up in the air while my knees were on the couch and my arms were resting on the floor. I set up a the bean bag on the steps and laid upside down while playing music at the bottom of my stomach and an ice pack on my stomach where he shouldn't be. I was incredibly stressed about this, as I didn't want to get a c-section for my last delivery. I went in on October 15 and he had flipped and he measured at 7 lbs 2 oz and he said he had a ton of hair! I was so excited. I was still only dilated to a 1.


On October 15, I was so tired and nauseous all day. Chad had class that night so I took the kids to get frozen yogurt at Chill and then we went to Target. We went home and I put the kids to bed. At around 8:30 I started getting contractions. I was extremely nervous. I had been the entire pregnancy. I was going into this knowing I wouldn't be able to get an epidural (they didn't work on Owen or Knox's Deliveries after the nurse attempted to give me one for an hour at each delivery which was pure hell).  At about 8:30, I started getting contractions. At 10 we went to bed, they were mild and every 15 mins apart. So I Decided to sleep. I woke up  about 45 mins later and knew I was in labor. I got up and started cleaning. I called my mom at midnight and she told me to go in. I was worried he would come really fast b/c the last two just popped out. So I woke Chad up and called my friend Caroline.  I started timing my contractions, they were every 2 mins and lasted 30 seconds.

We left for the hospital about 1 am. On the way to the hospital my contractions stopped, so I was worried it was false labor.  But then when I got to the ER I had a contraction that was very intense. We went back, the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 4 and I was in labor! Yay!  She started asking me routine questions.. She asked me about an epidural and I explained to her why I didn't want one. She told me that only the anesthesiolgists do it at their hospital and she said she had never seen them take longer than 20 mins and that was rare, most took 10. She told me that I could think about it. I decided to go ahead and do it and if it took longer than 20 mins I wouldn't let him try any longer. It is extremely hard to sit with your back arched, while trying not to make any sudden movements, while having contractions, all the while someone is trying to put a needle in your spine that could possibly paralyze you. Anyways, she started my IV and called for the epidural. So, at 3:30am the DR came in to give me the epidural, by then the contractions were extremely painful. So I leaned on Chad and arched my back. I was terrified! I prayed the whole time that it would work. He finished in 3 mins and it worked! I started bawling when it was done. Like a baby. 




She checked me after the epidural and I was dilated to a 7. She came in again at 5 and checked me again and I was an 8. She stayed and talked to me for about 30 mins. at about 5:30 Finn kicked me and my water broke. She checked me again and I was a 9. At 6am she checked again and I was ready to push. I pushed once and he came out a lot so she called the DR, he came in I, pushed twice and he was out. I cried when he came out. It's the most amazing feeling. I have never felt closer to God in all my life than when my child is delivered. I'm crying just thinking about it. It's such a miracle. 

They gave him to me right away and I got to hold him until the after birth was delivered.It's so wonderful. He was screaming and I just talked to him and he calmed down right away. It has always been so amazing to me how my voice can calm my babies right away after they are delivered. I love it.  He was 7 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches long. Brown hair, dark skin, bluish gray eyes, a big nose, I actually thought he was really goofy looking, but so so cute!  He got a 9 and 10 on the apgar score. After they weighed him and washed him off a bit I got to do skin on skin with him and breast feed him for about an hour 1/2. It was so amazing. He latched on right away and nursed for so long. A good hour I'd say. So, so Sweet! I loved it. Afterwards, they moved us to my room and Finn came with us. They bathed him in the room and he stayed with me for the rest of the day! All my other babies were taken away for several hours after and I hated it. I loved spending the day with him. The kids came to see him for the first time around 4pm. It was so sweet. They all thought he was really cute. Knox didn't know what to think. He held him for a few seconds and pushed him away. Anyways, that's my birth story! I'm so in love with Finn and so grateful the delivery went so well!! 









 











































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this!! Do a post about how you chose his name, I want to hear the story! I'm so glad your epidural worked, that would have been so stressful having to do it without!