Thursday, February 19, 2009

Doctor


So I went to the doctor yesterday, he helped to clear lots of things up for me. To make a long story short he said it is a 98% chance (given my age and my health it is nothing serious, thank goodness) it is 1 of 2 things

First: Esophageal spasm.
What is esophageal spasm?
Esophageal spasms are irregular, uncoordinated, and sometimes powerful contractions of the esophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. Normally, contractions of the esophagus are coordinated, moving the food through the esophagus and into the stomach. Esophageal spasms can prevent food from reaching the stomach, leaving it stuck in the esophagus.

Esophageal spasms are uncommon. Often, symptoms that may suggest an esophageal spasm are the result of another condition such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or achalasia, a problem with the nervous system in which the muscles of the esophagus and the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) don't work properly. Anxiety or panic attacks can also cause similar symptoms (if you want to read more here is the website http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/esophageal-spasm-topic-overview)

Second: Panic Attack.

What are panic attacks and panic disorder?
A panic attack is a sudden, intense fear or anxiety that may make you short of breath or dizzy or make your heart pound. You may feel out of control. Some people believe they are having a heart attack or are about to die. An attack may last from 5 to 20 minutes. You have the most anxiety about 10 minutes after the attack starts. If these attacks happen often, they are called a panic disorder.

Panic attacks can be scary and so bad that they get in the way of your daily activities. Treatment can help most people have fewer symptoms or even stop the attacks. More women than men get panic attacks.(http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/tc/panic-attacks-and-panic-disorder-topic-overview)

I'm not sure which one it is, it could have been either one. I've had one panic attack before it was a year ago, but it was nothing near as horrible as this incident. I do get heartburn about once or twice a week. The day that it had happened, i had eaten chips and salsa. I was also watching Abby. Not that, she would have caused a panic attack, she is a good little girl. But my house tends to get a lot messier when the kids have their friends over, on this particular day, I felt like everything was out of control. I don't think I seem like a person who gets panic attacks though, I'm a pretty laid back person, I don't get stressed a lot, I'm not nervous and I don't worry a lot. Who knows, I guess if this happens again (hopefully not) I will know which one it is. Which one do ya'll think it was?

2 comments:

Meghan said...

I don't see you as a panic attack type person, now I would be. So maybe it was the first one, esophageal spasm.

Janel said...

Hmmm...I have no idea. I just hope whatever it is you they figure it out and you get better fast. So scary! Anyway, I am coming there in the summer for a family reunion. I would love to see you since I didn't see last time;)! Derek and I are hopefully going to come out a day earlier than the family reunion to see some friends.